This site is intended for health professionals only
Thursday 27 October 2016
Share |

Probe after toddler finds needle in surgery bin

An investigation has been launched to find out how a toddler managed to get hold of a used needle at a medical centre and put it into his mouth.

Health officials for Oldham NHS have apologised for the incident in which Harvey Mills, aged 21 months, found a needle in an overflowing bin at the Cannon Street Health Centre.

The child's mother spotted the needle and he was given a Hepatitis B vaccination at Royal Oldham Hospital.

Gail Richards, chief executive of NHS Oldham, said: "We are deeply sorry for the distress this has undoubtedly caused. This is something no family should have to go through.

"We have launched an immediate investigation and I would personally like to reassure the family that all necessary steps will be taken to get to the bottom of this incident and take any action needed."

Ms Richards said she had reassured the family that their case was being taken seriously and said immediate action had been taken to emphasise the importance of ensuring sharps bins are kept secure.

Copyright © Press Association 2009

Oldham NHS